Building near deadly collapse of Surfside condominium ordered evacuated

Building near deadly collapse of Surfside condominium ordered evacuated

Building near deadly collapse of Surfside condominium ordered evacuated

An apartment complex in North Miami Beach, Florida near the Surfside condominium that collapsed last year was evacuated after engineers determined the facility was unsafe.

On Monday, the city of North Miami Beach received a letter from Bronislaus P. Taurinski Structural Engineers claiming that the five-story building, known as Bayview 60 Homes, was “structurally unsafe” and required immediate evacuation. stated the city in a statement.

In particular, structural engineers cited “a decline in the elevation of the building’s floor slabs” as the reason for the evacuation, according to the city. The building was built in 1972 and was preparing for its 50-year recertification.

“The city is working with the owner to ensure that all residents receive adequate assistance as they move in within the next 24 hours,” City Director Arthur Sorey said in a statement. “The safety of the residents is our primary concern and we are working as quickly as possible to mobilize our resources to the construction site.”

The city also said all residents would be compensated for their April rent and security deposit payments.

The evacuation comes after Champlain Towers South collapsed in Surfside, Florida last year, killing nearly 100 people.

Since then, other buildings in the area have also been evacuated, including Regent Palace, a building in Surfside that was voluntarily evacuated in July after an engineer hired by the condominium association encountered problems with the building’s structural integrity.

The Hill has removed its comments section, as there are plenty of other forums for readers to join the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.